24 March 2008

Omani Chronicles Part I










I started to become interested in entrances..ie:DOORS,gates, fenceposts when I first went to Mexico.They seem to express not only the obvious meaning of what they actually are; but they seem to tell a story that I find very meaningful and poetic. The variety of color, style and size changes across the world.SO, I suppose you could say that by looking at doors, one is granted a sense of where they are geographically. I think that this is great...!!
Some have mixed materials and others a simple wooden structure with a knob on it will do.
They offer one a sense of history; where we come from and how we live. I mean, when we were growing up...I painted our front door purple...as grape as you could get it, and people Assumed that our family was African American. Whats up with that??
Regardless of stereotypes, Doors are interesting, and say something about who we are as a people. They offer a channel for creative expression and give one a sense of pride and an opportunity to celebrate being alive.

No comments: